In Minecraft, you need torches to light your way when you are mining underground or if you want to keep mobs from spawning around you at night. Let’s explore how to use a torch.
In Minecraft, these are the materials to use a torch:
How to Use Torch
Quite often, you will find yourself mining underground as you look for diamonds or other precious items to gather. As you dig deeper, it gets darker and it is harder to see around you.
You can use torches to light up your way and make it easier to get around in the game.
In this example, we are going to use a torch to light the tunnel in our mine. We have selected the torch in our hotbar. If you don’t have a torch in your inventory, you can quickly make one with a crafting recipe for a torch.
Next, position your pointer (the plus sign) on the block where you want to place the torch. You should see the block become highlighted in your game window.
The game control to place the torch depends on the version of Minecraft:
- For Java Edition (PC/Mac), right click on the block.
- For Pocket Edition (PE), you tap on the block.
- For Xbox 360 and Xbox One, press the LT button on the Xbox controller.
- For PS3 and PS4, press the L2 button on the PS controller.
- For Wii U, press the ZL button on the gamepad.
- For Nintendo Switch, press the ZL button on the controller.
- For Windows 10 Edition, right click on the block.
- For Education Edition, right click on the block.
You should now see your torch appear on the wall and the area should brighten from the light of the torch. You can place torches anywhere in the game and on almost anything.