Steps to Mine with a Pickaxe
In Minecraft, you can add items such as diamonds to your inventory by mining diamond ore. So, let’s get started!
1. Hold the Pickaxe
First, you need to find a block of diamond ore to dig up. Next, you need to hold a diamond pickaxe or iron pickaxe in your hand. These are the only tools strong enough to mine for diamond ore.
In this example, we are going to use a diamond pickaxe to dig up the diamond ore so we have selected the diamond pickaxe in the hotbar.
2. Use the Pickaxe
Next, position your pointer (the plus sign) on the block of diamond ore that you want to mine. You should see the block become highlighted in your game window.
The game control to mine the diamond ore depends on the version of Minecraft:
- For Java Edition (PC/Mac), left click and hold on the block of diamond ore.
- For Pocket Edition (PE), you tap and hold on the block of diamond ore.
- For Xbox 360 and Xbox One, press and hold the RT button on the Xbox controller.
- For PS3 and PS4, press and hold the R2 button on the PS controller.
- For Wii U, press and hold the ZR button on the gamepad.
- For Nintendo Switch, press and hold the ZR button on the controller.
- For Windows 10 Edition, left click and hold on the block of diamond ore.
- For Education Edition, left click and hold on the block of diamond ore.
You will need to continue to dig until the block breaks and a diamond finally appears.
3. Pick up Mined Items
The diamond will float on the ground. Make sure you pick up the diamond before it disappears.
Once you pick up the diamond, it will appear in your hotbar.
Diamonds are very useful items and should be kept in your inventory to be used later.