In Minecraft, you can post signs with messages anywhere you want in the game. Signs are a great way to leave directions so that you don’t get lost in your world. Or, you can also use signs to leave fun messages for other players. Let’s explore how to use a sign.
In Minecraft, these are the required materials to use a sign:
Steps to Use a Sign
1. Place the Sign
Quite often, you will find yourself wondering around your world and you are worried that you might get lost. You can use signs to point out directions.
In this example, we are going to use a sign to show us which direction to go in our world. We have selected a sign in our hotbar. If you don’t have a sign in your inventory, you can quickly make one with a crafting recipe for a sign.
Next, position your pointer (the plus sign) on the block where you want to place the sign. You should see the block become highlighted in your game window.
The game control to place the sign depends on the version of Minecraft:
- For Java Edition (PC/Mac), right click on the block.
- For Pocket Edition (PE), you tap on the block.
- For Xbox 360 and Xbox One, press the LT button on the Xbox controller.
- For PS3 and PS4, press the L2 button on the PS controller.
- For Wii U, press the ZL button on the gamepad.
- For Nintendo Switch, press the ZL button on the controller.
- For Windows 10 Edition, right click on the block.
- For Education Edition, right click on the block.
2. Write on the Sign
A blank sign should popup. This is where you will enter the message for the sign. Start typing your message.
As you type, you will see your message appear on the sign.
In this example, we have typed:
Go this way >
3. Finished the Sign
When you have finished typing the message for the sign, select Done.
Now, the sign should appear with your message written on it.
Congratulations, you just learned how to use a sign in Minecraft.